So you got your letter of confirmation in the mail — you’re going to the PRSSA 2014 National Conference in Washington, D.C. Congrats!
And now you’re thinking, “But how can I contribute to the Community Service Initiative and make a difference during my short time in D.C.?”
This year it’s easier than ever to participate in the Community Service Initiative (CSI) at National Conference. We’re partnering with Access Housing Inc., a nonprofit organization that serves homeless veterans in the southeast Washington, D.C., area. (Read the official announcement here.) You can participate by donating miniature or travel-sized toiletries like shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, and more.*
Here are some tips for contributing to the initiative:
1. Go to the dollar section or travel section before arriving and stock up.
2. Start a drive with your Chapter, and bring all the donations to D.C. The more people involved, the merrier.
3. Ask your family and friends for contributions.
4. Stop at the CVS near the Conference hotel. It’s only a three minute walk!
5. Lastly, don’t forget to buy travel-size items or a small number of items so they’ll fit in your suitcase. We don’t want this to happen:
*Disclaimer: Toiletries of all sizes are welcome. Besides shampoo, deodorant and toothpaste we will also accept conditioner, soap, toothbrushes, feminine hygiene products, disposable razors, shaving cream, African American hair care products, sunscreen, bug spray, new towels and washcloths.
If you’re not attending Conference but would still like to participate, boxes of items may be shipped no earlier than Oct. 8, to the address below. (Please label boxes “1 of 6,” “2 of 6,” “3 of 6,” etc., so we will know when incomplete shipments are received. Please do not ship crates or pallets, as the hotel will charge you for handling.)
Omni Shoreham Hotel
C/O The UPS Store
PRSSA National Conference, Oct. 10-14
2500 Calvert Street, NW
Washington, DC 20008
(202) 756 – 5348