Get The Most Out Of Your PRSSA Membership This Summer
By now, most of you will have completed your last quarter or semester of the academic year. Sure, some of you might be taking classes this summer, but for the most part, we are in summer mode. Between internships, summer classes, vacations and projects, it’s easy to forget about PRSSA and another school year.
However there are plenty of things you can be doing right now to make the most of your PRSSA membership. Here’s a list to get you started, but I’d like to hear what all of you are doing across the country.
- Connect with PRSA by attending their meetings and professional
development sessions. If need help getting in touch your sponsoring Chapter, let me know and I’ll help you.
- Apply for scholarships. Although most of scholarships and awards were due in June, three awards also deadline in September and October. Check out the full list here and start applying early.
- Contribute to the fall issue of FORUM. Contact Patrick Hernandez, your FORUM editor in chief, for more information.
- Contact the National Committee members about joining subcommittees.
- Hold fund raisers for National Conference. The earlier you start, the more money you can use to head to sunny San Diego in November.
- Set up office tours and informational interviews with local PRSA members. Remember to build your network before you need it.
- Check out JobCenter for summer and fall postings. If you need help accessing this site, contact Vice President of Internships/Job Services Mike Wilson.
- Organize a team for the CW competition.
- Work with your Chapter to create a strategic plan for the year.
- Continue to hold meetings and seminars for members still in the area.
- Check out the case studies in the PRC database when you’re working on similar projects for your job or internship.
- Continue student-run firm work. Need help working with clients or building your firm? I’d love to help.
- Hold a retreat for Chapter leaders to plan for the upcoming year.
- Attend the Leadership Rally and learn from fellow PRSSA leaders across the country.
- Work with your Chapter to plan a bid for a Regional Activity. For more information, contact Jenna Huskinson, your vice president of regional activities.
- Connect with other members on social media. By engaging other members on this blog, Twitter and other blogs, you’ll be able to share information and learn from each other. PRSSA is something you all have in common and I encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity.
So, what other ideas do you have? Feel free to share what you or your Chapter does to keep the benefits coming during the summer.
4 thoughts on “Get The Most Out Of Your PRSSA Membership This Summer”
I have the oddest feeling that there are 13 comments on the first post and none on this one because you struck a nerve Nick.
I’m glad you brought this up, because it does seem like we all take the summer as a time for no PRSSA (unless you’re a new officer), when really it can be the best time to catch up with people you met at Conference, and do all the great things on this list. If we’re really going to get our $50 worth ($1/week really), we should aim to do something PRSSA every week of the summer. Great suggestions yo!
Thanks, Evan! The nice part about this post was it was shared and saved my a lot of people. As long as people are sharing their thoughts and/or spreading the posts around, I think it’s helpful to the members. And you’re absolutely right — making the most of your membership is key every week of the year.
Great suggestions, Nick! …I’ll add one a little less traditional =)
No one wants to spend their summer in classrooms or computer labs, or doing basically anything that reminds them of school, so I like to spice up our agency meetings and host them at local restaurants, pubs, coffee shops, etc. It’s a much more relaxed atmosphere and, in my experience, the conversation flows much better when delicious food and drinks are involved.
Make your summer meetings casual and comfortable – it’ll make people want to participate when they usually wouldn’t think about it. The different atmosphere brings out some great non-traditional ideas ….and it’s just plain fun!
[…] to Enhance Your Membership Value (Part Two) During the summer, we posted about how to increase the value of your PRSSA membership to get the most for your money. This time […]